Light For Less With Tech-Savy Twists on Tradition

Thanks SDG&E for these money-saving tips!

There is an easy way to save money every time you flip a light switch.  Simply replace traditional incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient ones.

The incandescent bulb converts only 10% of the electricity it uses to visible light.  The other 90% is wasted as heat.  Thanks to advances in lighting technologies, you will find many more efficient alternatives stocked by local retailers. Here are some tips:

  • Get discounts automatically when you buy ENERGY STAR (R) qualified lighting products that are displayed with signs or stickers showing SDG&E’s sponsorship or “promotional price”.
  • A new “Lighting Facts” label now required on packages for most bulbs make it easier to compare brightness, yearly energy cost, expected life and other facts.
  • Compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) produce the same amount of light using about 75% less energy than comparable incandescent bulbs, and they last up to 10 times longer. CFLs typically save enough energy to offset their somewhat higher purchase price within the first year of use and last more than five years.
  • Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) can save you 75% or more of the energy needed by incandescent light bulbs, and are remarkably durable, lasting up to 25 years. LEDs produce a focused, directional light and stay cool- a great choice for task, accent and landscape lighting.

For information on recycling light bulbs or for more energy saving tips don’t hesitate to contact me!